Cosmetic dentistry has been changing lives since the 1800s. It all began with the creation of the Jenkins porcelain enamel by Newell Sill Jenkins. From that moment on, Jenkins started a dental revolution that would help people forever. This historical information is fascinating, but you still want to know just what cosmetic dentistry entails. If you want to know, keep reading to find out the answer.
What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is a form of dentistry performed by professionals to help improve the appearance of someone’s teeth and mouth. With cosmetic dentistry, you can correct any imperfections that you do not like while working your dentist. Cosmetic dentistry helps improve the self-esteem of many people as well as the way others see them. For the most part, cosmetic dentistry is considered an elective form of dentistry. However, occasionally dentists will require you to receive cosmetic dentistry because of the benefits it provides.
Types of Cosmetic Dentistry
Since cosmetic dentistry has been around for more than a century, new procedures are regularly established. When considering cosmetic dentistry, you can speak with your dentist to understand more about each procedure. Some of the most popular forms of cosmetic dentistry are listed below:
- Teeth Whitening- Teeth whitening is the modern process of bleaching the teeth with different methods. It aids in removing stains to make your teeth look white. This process can be done by a professional, or you can do it yourself.
- Veneers- Veneers are a thick shell of porcelain that is custom to fit your mouth and then cemented to the front side of your tooth. This process is typically done to help those with crooked teeth, spaces, discoloration, and more.
- Crowns- Crowns are also commonly called caps that fit over your entire tooth. They are made of acrylic or porcelain and are used to help decaying, broken, or chipped teeth. They can also be used to cover a space between the teeth.
- Teeth Shaping- Teeth shaping is simply the reshaping of a tooth. This procedure is done by filling or removing some of the enamel on the teeth.
- Removable Aligners- Removable aligners are customized to fit your teeth and mouth perfectly. With multiple sets of aligners, you use one set at a time for a two-week period, gradually improving your smile. The main goal is to achieve a straighter smile. This process can take anywhere from six months to two years depending on the severity of the case.
Understanding cosmetic dentistry is crucial when you are considering a cosmetic procedure. Because it has been around for over a century, there have been many improvements and additions. Most importantly, cosmetic dentistry exists to improve the look of your teeth and mouth. It includes many forms of cosmetic procedures such as teeth whitening, crowns, and veneers. This form of dentistry has helped thousands of people improve their self-esteem and feel better about the way others seem them. No matter which type of cosmetic dentistry that you are considering, speak with your dentist to decide what is right for you.