A dental crown is a tooth-shaped “cap” which is placed over a tooth in order to restore the tooth’s shape, size, and strength, and to improve its appearance.
Crowns, when cemented into place, fully encase the entire visible portion of the tooth, that which lies at and above the gum line.
Salinas Cosmetic Dentist may advise a dental crown may be needed in the following situations:
1. To protect a weak tooth (for instance, from decay) from breaking or to hold together parts of a cracked tooth
2. To restore an already broken tooth or a tooth that has been severely worn down
3. To cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t a lot of tooth remaining
4. To hold a dental bridge in place
5. To cover misshapen or severely discolored teeth
6. To cover a dental implant
7. To make a cosmetic modification